Thursday, September 21, marked the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah.
National Supply Chain Week is celebrated October 1-7, 2017
News: -Dr. Sydney Butts, Clarence And Mary Dennis Dedicated Service Award 2017 winner, was featured on a Good Morning America segment on Sleep Apnea in children. Dr. Butts states, “symptoms of sleep apnea in children include snoring, hyperactivity, trouble focusing in school, depression or anger and even bed wetting. Some of these symptoms can often be confused with those of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)”. To read more and watch here segment, click here.
– Brian K. McNeils MD, Downstate Urology Program Director, and Mike Haynes, NFL Hall of Famer, did a press tour for the American Urological Association. They are a part of the Know Your Stats Campaign, designed to increase awareness about prostate cancer.
SUNY Downstate Announcements:
-Dean of the College of Nursing, Lori Escallier, PhD, RN, CPNP-PC, FAAN presented her work with veterans at the World Congress of Nursing & Nursing Education Conference in Rome, Italy.
– Announcements of the appointment of the members of the Employee Climate/Engagement Survey Steering Committee, chaired by Judith Dorsey, MA—Vice President of Human Resources and Campus Ethics Officer. The individuals serving on this committee are: Bernadette Selby; Patricia Winston RN, MS; Laura Free, MPA; Pascale Daquin; Devon John, MD; Karen Saunders MA; Allen Lewis PhD, CRC; Lori Escallier PhD, RN, CPNP-PC, FAAN; Seth Langley PhD; Peter Ljutic; Rowena Blackman, MS; and Rose Jackman, MPH.
– Facility Improvements: Work has begun in the basement of the library to temporarily relocate departments who are currently housed in the trailed located on Lenox Road. The team at Facilities Management & Development will be working diligently towards to the goal of have most the departments relocated before the winter weather hits.
– Dr Raavi Gupta, MD, is the Assistant Professor of Pathology at Downstate and Director of Laboratories at Downstate Bay Ridge. Dr. Gupta has been elected President of the New York Pathological Society.
– Andrew Hasenzahl, SPH/COM Class of 2020, Rev. Dr. Kirkpatrick Cohall, chair of Downstate’s SUNY Campus Council, and Ellen Watson, Assistant Vice President for Institutional Advancement, for attended the 2017 ACT Conference on behalf of SUNY Downstate. The Council is charged with reviewing critical campus plans, impacting structure and serving as advocates for their campuses.
– Dr. Robert Gore was honored at the United Hospital Fund Gala with the Distinguished Community Service Award. “The award recognizes volunteer leadership of a specific project or initiative that significantly improves health and health care in New York City. UHF saluted Dr. Gore’s work with the Kings Against Violence Initiative (KAVI).”
Innovations in Medicine:
– Dr. Todd Sacktor, Neurology Professor for the College of Medicine, participated in a BBC podcast discussing his breathtaking memory research. Dr. Sacktor“believes that memories are stored in the connections – or synapses … and what Todd Sacktor and his colleagues have done is to create a drug called ZIP that disperses PKM Zeta and appears to wipe out memories.” To read more and listen to his interview click here.
– One of the companies at the Downstate Biotechnology Incubator, HemoGenyx, LLC, is going public next week with a listing on the London Stock Exchange. This is the first and only Brooklyn-based company to have achieved this major distinction.